Adsense Fixed Position … It’s a No, No!

Adsense Fixed Position … It’s a No, No!

Can you put Google ads in a <div> with “position: fixed”? Giving your Adsense fixed position would be nice, but, sadly, it’s against the rules.

I was recently asking that question and found the answer rather hard to find.  So, when I finally did find an official answer on the subject, I thought that I would pass it along.

So, what’s the answer?  The answer is: no.  No, you can’t do anything to manipulate the aesthetics of an ad to call attention to it more than any other aspect of the page.

So, even though the tactic of position:fixed is common (Facebook, Gmail, etc), you cannot use this tactic yourself as it relates to your ad.

Tags: , ,

My name is Luke, and I’m the Online Media Manager for a technology company, photographer, husband, and father. You can see a snapshot of some of my work at LukeCoburn.com. I cheer for the Red Sox and am completely in love with my wife and four little princesses.

9 Responses to “Adsense Fixed Position … It’s a No, No!”

1. Munge June 28, 2013 at 5:11 am #

Seams like some web pages bed those rules like http://humortrain.com/ who has simple fixed div on their front page and there is 9gag who has some kind of JavaScript that automatically change div css from relative to fixed while you scroll the page.
    What do you say to that ?

• Luke July 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm #

HumorTrain may have changed since you posted this comment, but they do not appear to be doing anything to violate the rules now. 9gag, on the other hand, certainly is.

As far as what I would say to that…I would say that they are playing with fire. The problem with breaking Google’s rules is that they can just ban you with no warning, and it’s totally done on their discretion. Once banned, it can be very hard to come back. You can find a lot of stories around the internet of people who were banned without even knowing that they were doing anything wrong. In this case, I’d rather be safe than sorry.

2. markotom July 9, 2013 at 9:21 pm #

Hey Munge! For example, like http://dafont.com right?

3. Nutri Bullet June 7, 2014 at 9:37 pm #

very useful information, I will follow the terms and conditions of google

4. Vehbi Kurtcebe June 8, 2014 at 5:14 am #

Hi Luke ,

Maybe this information is true but a lot of site use fixed position.

For example :http://www.acunn.com/haber/ailesinden-gizleyerek-sampiyon-oldu/151577

5. Mark August 6, 2014 at 3:55 am #

So is this ok? Look at the fixed ad on the right side…

6. Andres November 21, 2014 at 10:05 am #

OKCupid does this with both ad columns. Perhaps, since it is a really big site, they got permission.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Adsense fixed posisjon - Webforumet.no - June 25, 2014

[…] […]

Your Thoughts...?

Amazon Sales

I've been selling on Amazon for a while now. I want to teach you how.

See my Top 100 Most Profitable Items