What is that iPhone Icon? It’s TTY.

Every once in a while I do something to my iPhone that makes a little blue (or grey) phone icon appear in the upper right corner of the screen (Spoiler Alert: it’s the iPhone TTY Icon). Without fail, I forget what I did and need to search forums to find out how to get rid of it. So, this post is to help me figure it out next time I forget…as well as help any of you guys with the same question.

Ok, so here’s the icon that I’m talking about:

iphone_icon_1

The reason the icon is there is that it’s telling me that the TTY function of my phone has been turned on. Enabling TTY is necessary to attach a teletype machine to the phone for the deaf or hard of hearing. You would need a separate TTY cable to use the TTY functionality, and odds are, if you are wondering what the icon is there for, you probably aren’t looking to respond by purchasing a teletype machine…you probably want to know how to turn it off. Here you go…

First, tap the Settings icon on your iPhone. Now, find your Phone settings:

iphone_icon_2

On this screen, you will see the TTY setting that is turned on (at least…it’s turned on if you are seeing that phone icon in the corner).

iphone_icon_3

All you need to do is touch the On/Off toggle so that it’s in the off position. Once you do so, you should see that TTY is off, and the icon will disappear.

iphone_icon_4

And there you have it. Just hit your home button to get back to your home screen. It’s pretty simple, but it took me a lot of searching to figure it out the first time I had the problem.

Please leave a comment if you found this helpful!

Photo by Yutaka Tsutano

Tags:

My name is Luke, and I'm the Online Media Manager for a technology company, photographer, husband, and father. You can see a snapshot of some of my work at LukeCoburn.com. I cheer for the Red Sox and am completely in love with my wife and four little princesses.

27 Responses to “What is that iPhone Icon? It’s TTY.”

1. Vladimir Sokolov May 1, 2010 at 5:21 am #

its not there!

• Luke November 14, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

Yes, it’s not there most of the time. Some people accidentally activate the TTY function and don’t know how or why it’s there. If your phone doesn’t display the icon, then you shouldn’t have to worry about it.

2. Guy October 4, 2010 at 10:52 am #

TTY for Deaf People, right?

• Luke November 14, 2010 at 6:51 pm #

Yes, it is for anyone who have difficulty hearing.

3. sean November 28, 2010 at 9:44 am #

Ive got the icon, but the TTY on/off setting is not there on my phone setting page. Its got my head baffelled

• Luke November 29, 2010 at 7:13 pm #

Are you using an iPhone? If so, which version iPhone and what version of the operating system?

• CAL December 9, 2010 at 6:49 pm #

Took me awhile to find this thread…. I noticed that little icon on my phone, today after I dropped it into my soup…(.I thought it was a signal that I dropped it in liquid…) I proceeded to wipe it off with towels, stupid me turned it on… Ive been pretty desperate all afternoon… it keeps pushing messages…My home button is stuck… and it wont power off… my voice controls keep coming on. How do I fix mend the home button. It is sitting in rice at the moment… hope its not too late… and I’m glad the icon was not a…..you just dropped your phone in water icon and were gonna tell….

Thanx for the help

• Luke December 10, 2010 at 7:45 am #

Yeah, as far as I know, Apple has yet to come out with a “you just dropped your phone in your soup” icon 🙂

• CAL December 11, 2010 at 9:14 am #

My phone seems good…only my home button is still not working, it receives calls, texts, everything… just a bad home button… what can I do???

• Luke December 12, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

If you have Apple Care on your phone, or if it’s still under the original warranty, you can check with Apple to see if they will cover the damage to your home button. They aren’t under any obligation to cover it, but they’ve been known to cover accidents, probably just to maintain their good name. Someone I work with has actually had his phone replaced twice because he ran over it with his car…twice. Apple has given him a new phone both times. It’s worth checking.

• Karkarbekar February 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

setting>general>reset>reset all setting

tty symbol gone

4. Joshuafleck January 19, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

THANK YOU!

5. ConstantSwagemakers August 13, 2011 at 5:19 pm #

3GS- no TTY on the ‘Phone’ screen; how do I get rid of the icon?

6. ConstantSwagemakers August 13, 2011 at 5:20 pm #

and don’t tell me to ‘reset’, because everything I’ve got be will gone, too.

7. LukeCoburn August 16, 2011 at 8:48 am #

@ConstantSwagemakers I don’t believe that it has anything to do with the model of phone that you’re using because it’s the same operating system. I’m not 100% sure, but I would guess that you’re just overlooking something in the settings…but I can’t be sure without seeing it. Sorry. Hope you figure it out.

8. ConstantSwagemakers August 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm #

@LukeCoburn Nothing to do with OS! (of course) The page ‘settings’ in ‘phone’ looks like:

My Number

Call Forwarding

Call Waiting

Show my caller ID

SIM PIN

T-Mobile Services.

NO ‘TTY’ switch; NO voicemail password. And that’s it! Now What?

9. LukeCoburn August 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm #

@ConstantSwagemakers Sorry…I have no idea. I thought that it had everything to do with the OS. I’m no TTY expert. I just wrote this post to answer one specific question almost 2 years ago. I hope you can find the info that you’re looking for.

10. AhmedAliMasseri August 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm #

Thanks so much.. I couldn’t jus ignore it , i needed to seaech and fix it

Thanks again

11. Renee Dominguez March 5, 2014 at 1:52 pm #

Thank you for telling me about that little phone symbol at the top right I had no idea what it was. Thank you.

12. Pau June 5, 2014 at 6:45 pm #

That was so helpful and easy !!! Great instructions!

13. Lisa June 11, 2016 at 5:49 pm #

Thanks this was helpful! I must have turned it on without realizing it and could not figure out what it was till I came across this info

14. Mario Zamarripa August 3, 2016 at 6:45 am #

Thank you. Very helpful and easy.

15. Ankur November 1, 2016 at 6:46 am #

I have read comments from 2010 and its 2016 almost coming to an end I a using iphone 7 and as I updated my software from 10 to 10.1 the TTY icon appeared. Now I don’t have the TTY button in Settings > Phone. Resetting the phone is an easy option but again a lot of effort to get all the applications etc etc back. Checked several blogs and sites, but still not found any solid one stopshop fix for this problem…

16. susienokes January 22, 2017 at 2:08 pm #

What are you using to record your phone on the mac screen?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. iPhone - Status Bar - Mac-Forums.com - November 10, 2010

[…] I kept having the same problem, so I found the answer and wrote a blog article about it with screenshots. Hope this helps: iPhone TTY Icon | FatWalr.us […]

2. Weird Icon in Menu Bar on iPhone - MacTalk Forums - November 10, 2010

[…] I kept having the same question, so I wrote a blog post about it with screenshots. I hope this helps: iPhone TTY Icon | FatWalr.us […]

3. Status bar tweaks, iphone4 - November 16, 2010

[…] I kept having the same TTY question, so I found the answer and wrote a blog post about it with screenshots to help others (and me next time I forget): What is that Icon on my iPhone? | FatWalr.us […]

Your Thoughts...?