Why I Switched to Livefyre from Disqus

[sc:share]

One of my recent posts was a comparison of Disqus vs Livefyre vs Intensedebate commenting systems.  My conclusion at the time of writing was that I was going to stick with Disqus, at least for the time being.  Anyone with any degree of observation skills, though, would see that I’ve since switched to Livefyre, and I thought that it was high time that I explained why.  So, there may be more, but these are the three main reasons why I made the switch.

#1 – Support

The Livefyre support team, led by Jenna Langer, is second to none.  You’ll be hard pressed to find blog posts that discuss Livefyre and don’t have Jenna leaving comments.  Getting the word out about their product and supporting their brand is clearly at the very top of the Livefyre to-do list when they come to work each day.  I’ve had a couple times where I had questions about their product and submitted questions into their Helpdesk, and every time I have received responses within hours (sometimes minutes) of submission.  During my time using Disqus I did not find this to be the case.  They weren’t bad at customer support.  My questions just didn’t seem like they were met with the same sense of priority.

#2 – Innovation

The Livefyre team, when compared to Disqus is smaller, has fewer resources, has smaller and fewer clients, and is the new kid on the block.  All these things would make you assume that they would be playing catch-up with Disqus in the commenting system race.  From what I’ve seen, though, it has been the complete opposite.  It was Livefyre that first rolled out the ability to @mention Twitter users within your comment.  It’s Livefyre that ties into your Facebook account and allows you to draw them into the conversation.  Tying into social networks is where it’s at now.  Commenting is a social activity.  I want to be using the product that will best tie into social networks, and right now that’s Livefyre.  Disqus has copied their functionality, but it has been done with more bugs and not as completely.  Livefyre is regularly pushing new functionality into their product, and I want to support that effort.

#3 – Community

In my comparison of commenting systems I said that I was staying with Disqus because of the community.  Disqus simply has a larger user base.  However, I’ve come to realize that the Livefyre community is much more engaged than Disqus.  Check out SpinSucks for an example of a community that is extremely engaged and social.  It’s this kind of a community that I want to build into any blog that I’m working on, and, from what I can tell, Livefyre has the more vibrant and engaged community.

Summary

There are definitely more reasons for the switch, but those are the main ones.  The transition to Livefyre was so simple that literally anyone can do it.  You can click the “Get Livefyre Now” button on their website to see just how simple it is.

[sc:share]

Have you changed commenting systems lately?  Are you a Livefyre or Disqus nut?  How are things going for you, and why do use what you do?

Tags: , , , ,

My name is Luke, and I'm the Online Media Manager for a technology company, photographer, husband, and father. You can see a snapshot of some of my work at LukeCoburn.com. I cheer for the Red Sox and am completely in love with my wife and four little princesses.

122 Responses to “Why I Switched to Livefyre from Disqus”

1. joker999 August 3, 2011 at 5:24 am #

But these two are diffent size, livefyre near 1mb just for comment, you’ll find out.

2. LukeCoburn August 3, 2011 at 8:38 am #

@joker999 Hi Joker. Would you mind explaining a little more what you’re trying to say? Maybe siting a reference to back up the claim about download size? Have you used livefyre and had a bad experience? It sounds like you are saying that you’ve used both and think that disqus is a smaller download, but I’m not totally sure.

3. LukeCoburn August 3, 2011 at 8:53 am #

*citing a reference* … not siting … trying not to look as dumb and I feel for making that mistake.

4. joker999 August 3, 2011 at 9:33 am #

@LukeCoburn My bad, it’s seem they’re fixed it, back in feb, its was around 1mb for that! Anyway, seem look good now, just extra 200-300kb from what you have.

10kb extra from disqus. less 10kb livefyre no fuss about it because everyone have faster internet, right?

5. joker999 August 3, 2011 at 9:34 am #

@LukeCoburn -_- no edit? anyway I was gonna say livefyre was 1mb back then.

6. LukeCoburn August 3, 2011 at 10:38 am #

@joker999 Thanks for the clarification. While I would still use a commenting system even if I had to download 1MB (yeah, I think they are that important), it’s good to hear that they aren’t that large. I’m sure most of the data gets cached and is a one-off download. And that probably happens the first time a visitor goes to any blog using Livefyre/Disqus, not necessarily when they visit your version of the system.

7. JMattHicks August 3, 2011 at 11:27 am #

I’ve gotta say, your URL is probably one of my favorite ones that I’ve come across in my years of web-browsing. But I won’t say how long it took me to figure out that it was Fat Walrus and not FatWalr.us when viewing just the URL from our database…thinking “Fat Walr” was possibly a name…yeah…embarrassing…

Anyways, we’re pumped to have you on Livefyre and we appreciate you taking the time to overview what we’re all about. If you ever need anything, just let us know and we’ll make sure that you’re well taken care of.

8. LukeCoburn August 3, 2011 at 11:37 am #

@JMattHicks Hey, thanks. I had been thinking of what I wanted the URL to be, and I woke up in the middle of the night in a hotel room with it in my head…I have no idea why. It’s ridiculously hard to tell people with words, though: “Yeah, just go to fatwalr dot u-s.” I end up having to just spell it.

Anyways…

I’m becoming pretty big fans of you guys’ product. I think you do a great job at taking care of your clients, so I’m not worried about the service I’ll get in the future. In light of the fact that I’m not paying you anything, I think I’m getting a pretty sweet deal.

9. JMattHicks August 3, 2011 at 11:43 am #

@LukeCoburn lol Well I guess that just adds to the fun of having such a unique name, right?

And we really appreciate the kind words Luke. You’ve got a pretty good thing going here and best of luck with it as you continue grow your community. And definitely keep us in the loop when you’re brainstorming your next website name. I’ve got a few ideas up my sleeve, something like TinyPlatyp.us or maybe? 😉

10. LukeCoburn August 3, 2011 at 11:46 am #

@JMattHicks Nice…I’ll have to keep that in mind!

11. karynpyle August 9, 2011 at 6:40 am #

I just opened an account today thought I haven’t yet added it to my blogs as I am transitioning them to a self hosted site right now and its all in a bit of a mess.I write at @ karynpyle and natureconspires on twitter.I was doing some research (hence the reason I’m here reading!) and making sure this was the system for me – it seems that it is! Thanks for the very comprehensive feedback.

12. RubenVeenstra August 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm #

Testin out this website, sorry :)

13. RubenVeenstra August 9, 2011 at 12:56 pm #

willem de tester what will this do?

14. Dhara Mistry August 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm #

@karynpylekarynpyle Hey Karyn, If you have questions/feedback with respect to Livefyre, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We would be happy to answer them!

15. karynpyle August 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm #

@Dhara Mistry Hi Dhara, just tried posting a comment here and it didnt work,a red notice came up saying there was an error, but with no explanation? I will try this one and see if its works.

16. karynpyle August 9, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

@Dhara Mistry Nope its not working, its a comment where Ive tagged a friend from FB and its coming up as an error but I have no idea why – any thoughts? It seems to work now when I am not tagging.

17. Dhara Mistry August 10, 2011 at 1:03 pm #

@karynpyle Hey Karyn, I saw you emailed us regarding this. Any extra details on this will be helpful for us to dig deeper. @JMattHicks is pretty awesome and he will get you squared up in no time :)

18. wp_smith August 17, 2011 at 9:45 am #

@jennalanger maybe @livefyre can sponser @wpcandy to do an unbiased comparison of commenting systems.

19. wp_smith August 17, 2011 at 9:48 am #

@jennalanger I’ve read a few articles that r more about preference & switching from 1 to the other. It would b gr8 to have an unbiased study

20. wp_smith August 17, 2011 at 9:48 am #

@jennalanger those r all nice-to-haves but I would like a real study done with data on performance since pagespeed is so very important now

21. mistersimard August 29, 2011 at 2:50 am #

I saw that WPBeginner was using Livefyre and I Googled it. I found your website as a result. You’ve got some great content and I appreciate the reviews of commenting systems. One thing I don’t really like about Livefyre is that there’s no option to just comment as a guest, leaving a name and email address. And (at least from my Android smartphone) it takes me away from your website for the signup/login part of it. All of this could confuse or turn off less tech-savvy people, I think. Am I missing something or this really how it works?

22. marcusveerman August 30, 2011 at 4:57 am #

I had never heard of livefyre but as a diqus user was interested straight away. and now i am making a comment just to see what will happen?

one question i have is where are these words stored. who gets the SEO value of these words. livefyre or the blogger or both??

look forward to hearing from you!

23. LukeCoburn August 30, 2011 at 10:10 am #

@mistersimard Hey, thanks for the input. Personally, I like that people need an account to leave a comment. It deters people from leaving random stupid thoughts on the fly because each comment will be attached to a permanent identity.

Your question about leaving the site to create the account is interesting, though. I would have assumed that if you logged in using Facebook or Twitter it wouldn’t make you leave the site at all. Perhaps @Dhara Mistry , @JMattHicks , or jennalanger would be able to add some wisdom as to the logic behind it.

24. JMattHicks August 30, 2011 at 11:54 am #

Hey @mistersimard and @LukeCoburn , let me first say that these are my favorite types of conversation. Members of a community discussing opposing view points in a civil, productive manner. That is exactly what community is all about, personal discourse that promotes deeper connection and understanding of others.

/soapbox

Alright, so now that I got my emotional speech out of the way, let me try to answer some questions! You both make very valid points and I’ll do my best to cover all bases.

1st. We do not have guest commenting…but we will very soon. We firmly believe just as lukecoburn does that having an account does promote a more quality conversation by helping to eliminate spam, trolls, and people who abuse the community because of a lack of accountability. We’ve seen that come to fruition across countless numbers of blogs user Livefyre. But, with that said, that does not mean that ALL communities who don’t require an account to comment have low-quality conversations…not by a long shot, which leads me to my next point:

2nd. Every community is different. Some communities may thrive on the increased “openness” of not requiring an account to comment. And though we’ve seen a very large number of communities see improved convo quality with mandatory accounts, we’ve also seen communities have awesome conversations without them.

Our goal is give our community everything they need to help build THEIR communities, fostering genuine relationships and increased engagement across all of their content. And since no two communities are alike, especially in this instance regarding accounts, we’ll be rolling out guest commenting within the next few weeks to ensure that each communities needs are met.

I hope that was the insight you were looking for! If you have any other questions, send ’em my way!

• patricksplace December 3, 2011 at 8:32 am #

@JMattHicks Thanks for the kind words, Jeremy. I literally can’t say enough good things about Livefyre and the people behind it. There’s a sense of community here that is second to none!

25. mistersimard August 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm #

I agree with you, for many sites (including anything I would probably do for myself). Cuts down an crappy, spammy comments. It was just a bit of a bummer to see all these great features but then realize that for some communities, no guest option would mean fewer comments. But it looks like @JMattHicks has explained it below.

26. mistersimard August 30, 2011 at 12:20 pm #

@JMattHicks@LukeCoburnlukecoburn Thanks for your thorough and thoughtful response, @JMattHicks . This is something I’m really enjoying about Livefyre, that you guys chime in on conversations. Great to hear that you will be adding guest commenting. If that’s the case, I may very well consider using Livefyre for one of my client sites (and certainly for my own sites).

Can you shed a little light on the sign up process taking a person away from the site they’re originally on? Is there a way for everything to take place in a popup window of some sort, so the person feels like they’re not leaving the site? Small detail, but I think certain people may wonder where they’re going during this process. Great service and it’s awesome to see competition for Disqus and IntenseDebate. Keep them on their toes!

27. JMattHicks August 30, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

@mistersimard@LukeCoburnlukecoburn You’re very welcome, we love interacting with our community and we appreciate YOUR thoughts.

The sign-in process is another aspect of the product we’re working on to make a bit smoother. Depending on your browser’s settings (for instance how your tabs are configured in Safari), it may take you to another tab, but signing up should all happen in a pop-up window for you. Would you mind sharing which browser you’re using?

And thanks man, we’ll keep working hard!

28. mistersimard August 30, 2011 at 12:40 pm #

@JMattHicks@mistersimard@LukeCoburnlukecoburn I’m using Firefox 5.0.1, and I’m going to test signing up using another account to see what happens.

29. mistersimard August 30, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

@JMattHicks@LukeCoburnlukecoburn Well, sure enough it WAS in popup windows this time. I guess it was because I first did it from my smartphone. It wasn’t, however, super clear for me to simply sign in using Twitter instead. I was told my email was already in use and would have to add Twitter to my settings, and was emailed a link. I clicked that link and was brought to a page where I had to choose whether to sign in or sign up. I think people could think that they need to sign up again because they want to do so with Twitter. I’m thinking from the perspective of not so tech savvy users (heck, am I falling into this category right about now, haha). I just tested it with Disqus and it just has the Sign in With…then it automagically logs me in with my identity. I didn’t have to fill anything in, add anything or follow any links. And none of those services were connected to my existing Disqus profile. It just worked.

It would be nice to have the ability to either preview the comment, or when you click Post Comment As, to choose which social connection to use (I thought I was going to get that option for my previous comment), or to edit the comment after it’s been posted. The button on this window now says Post Comment so it’s obvious I won’t get to choose, since I’m logged in. Sorry if I’m beating a dead horse, here. Just getting used to your service and want to make sure I understand it, if I’m going to be selling people on it.

I think in addition to saying “Type the “@” symbol to tag your friends from Facebook and Twitter, and notify them that you mentioned them!” in the little box below the message windows, it’d be nice to mention that people can tag others in this conversation. I wasn’t immediately clear on how to do so. I thought it was different than the Facebook and Twitter method.

Ok, that’s enough blabbering from me.

30. JMattHicks August 30, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

@mistersimard@LukeCoburnlukecoburn You’re definitely not blabbering, these are all very good questions and observations.

The no pop-up on your smartphone was, as you said, because it was from a mobile browser.

The reason you received an e-mail to confirm is to avoid creating multiple accounts for the same users. We’re re-working portions of our auth process, to make it smoother and more intuitive, so definitely keep an eye out!

As for choosing which social network to connect, are you referring to which connect you choose to share that comment through? If so, you can check one of the boxes next to the “Post Comment” or “Post Comment As” buttons for Facebook, Twitter, or both. If not, there should be options on the right side to sign-in through Google, LinkedIn, etc. If you see just one option for Twitter (for instance) on the right side of the pop-up, click the “Not You?” text and it’ll show you each option to sign-in under. That won’t make a difference as it all funnels back to your Livefyre account, but it at least provides you the options.

I hope that clarified a few things for you, let me know if you like any other insight! We appreciate all of your feedback and we’ll definitely take it heart. Feel free to send any other thoughts our way, we love hearing from our community :)

31. LukeCoburn August 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm #

@marcusveerman Hi Marcus. Based on this piece of info from Livefyre’s site, the answer to your question is that the comments are credited to the blogger: http://support.livefyre.com/customer/portal/articles/8175-are-my-comments-indexed-by-search-engines-

I’m sure that this is another question that @JMattHicks could speak more intelligently than I could. He works for Livefyre and has been contributing in these comments.

32. JMattHicks August 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

@marcusveerman Hey Marcus, very good questions. All comments left through Livefyre are Google crawlable, so with each comment left that blog is getting SEO credit for it. Also, we have a feature called LinkBack which provides a link to the last blog post by a Livefyre blog owner under each comment they leave so you can get some link help as a commenter as well.

I hope that provides the insight you were looking for, feel free to send any other questions my way!

33. Mattias Gronborg September 5, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Thank’s for this great info! I use Disqus today but I think I will switch to livefyre because I like it.

34. nevertoomuch September 6, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

@Mattias Gronborg how did the switch go? you happy with livefyre? your community happy with the switch?

35. nevertoomuch September 6, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

@Dhara Mistry was this because of the attempted-tagged-user’s privacy settings? maybe they block themselves from being tagged?

did this error stop the post entirely?

36. Mattias Gronborg September 6, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

@nevertoomuch I did the switch today and I’m in test mode right now, so drop by blog and let me know how you think it looks. Welcome! :)

37. nevertoomuch September 6, 2011 at 3:54 pm #

It even converted your old comments… nicely done. Will definitely check back! Shoot me a DM if any community members have anything to say about it. Really interested in it from a converted community’s point of view.

Twitter handle is Nevertoomuch

38. Dragon Blogger September 13, 2011 at 11:57 am #

I am considering switching from default WordPress commenting to Disqus or Livefyre and only using posts like this to determine which one I test first. Question, what happens to all your old comments when switching to Livefyre or Disqus, do they show up in post as well or get absorbed into LiveFire or disqus?

39. Dragon Blogger September 13, 2011 at 11:58 am #

@LukeCoburn Luke, how did you show the “my latest conversation” url in your comment, is this a feature of LiveFyre? Your comments appear to be the only ones with a URL in your comments.

40. jennalanger September 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

@Dragon Blogger Hey Justin, Jenna from Livefyre here. Livefyre imports all of your comments from your WordPress database. We also write all new comments back to WP so you still own all of the content.

41. jennalanger September 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm #

@Dragon Blogger What you see for Luke’s and my comments is our latest Livefyre conversation. This shows up if you have Livefyre installed on your site.

42. Dragon Blogger September 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

@jennalanger Thanks, the more I see it in action the more I like it. I also like that I can define other writers on my site as “moderators” in the Livefyre database. It looks like Livefyre defaults to “dofollow” for comment authors in backlink to URL, is this an option to dofollow or nofollow?

• techinsider May 31, 2012 at 9:22 am #

@jennalanger I don’t really like the “my latest conversation” as I have a greek site and all the links are in English. I want my readers to stick on my site and it’s ads, not visit other sites.

When migrating to Livefyre and import all WordPress comments, are they imported with the threads and hierarchy they have on WordPress? And vice versa?

You have great support, indeed!

• Dragon Blogger May 31, 2012 at 9:55 am #

@techinsider  @jennalanger You can disable it, but I agree I would like Livefyre to have a more robust latest conversation link feature.  Honestly, the system tracks every comment you make not just your own blog, it should link to your latest comment that was made no matter what Livefyre blog you made it on.  (To be a true “latest conversation”) or just do what CommentLuv does and link to your latest article in your RSS feed on your site.

• jennalanger May 31, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

@techinsider Hey there, as Justin mentioned you can turn the latest conversation feature on or off.

For migrating, Livefyre imports all of your old comments and maintains the threading that you had in WordPress. When comments go back into your database they maintain the reply structure as well, so your comments should stay in tack. Thanks!

43. jennalanger September 13, 2011 at 1:30 pm #

@Dragon Blogger We currently don’t have a way to make it no-follow, but since it is only bloggers in the Livefyre network, the spam is non-existent with this feature. Also, you as the blog owner can turn the features off if you’d like.

44. Dragon Blogger September 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

@jennalanger That brought up a question, I have a large number of readers/commenters who don’t run blogs at all, don’t ever leave URL when they comment, I am curious to see how they take to Livefyre.

45. jennalanger September 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm #

@Dragon Blogger What’s great about Livefyre is that each user has a profile that displays all of the comments they have left across the Livefyre network. This way if they don’t have a site, they still have a profile that shows where they are active and that they love to comment :)

46. Dragon Blogger September 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

@jennalanger Already set Livefyre up on 2 of my blogs to test out before converting my flagship site.

47. marcusveerman September 13, 2011 at 7:10 pm #

Hi Jenna, can this be done with Drupal comments also. thanks for keeping up with the conversation.

48. Mattias Gronborg September 14, 2011 at 10:18 am #

@jennalanger@Dragon Blogger I can only agree the conversion of the comments worked well.

49. DYounglao September 14, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

Hi JMattHicks – I’ve been wanting to have a more interactive commenting system on my blog, and from what I read here, Livefyre seems the way to go – it seems to have better features than Disqus or IntenseDebate. However I’m going to wail till guest commenting is enabled. I didn’t like having to sign up for a Livefyre account in order to leave a comment here. I feel like signing in with my google account should have been enough and was annoyed when made to sign up for a Livefyre account as well. My blog has only a small following of mostly artists – I’m trying to grow it by having better commenting than Blogger’s default – and I’m pretty sure that having to sign up for yet another thing will turn some people off. So I’m looking forward to the roll out of guest commenting! Do you have a specific date yet?

Also didn’t like being sent to a new page to sign in! (I have Safari and am definitely non-tecchie so don’t know what settings I’m supposed to have get the pop up window instead of the new tab)

50. DYounglao September 14, 2011 at 4:45 pm #

hmmm… my comment also jumped to the wrong place. I was replying to your bit about guest commenting, which is several comments up from this one. Don’t know I arrived down here…

51. JMattHicks September 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm #

@DYounglao Hey there, thanks for taking the time reach out, I appreciate it :)

It looks like your reply wasn’t properly formatted to tag (@jmatthicks instead of @JMattHicks ) If you type in the “@” symbol, that bring up a drop-down menu to select users to mention!

As far as guest commenting goes, while I don’t have a concrete ETA for that, I can tell you that it will be rolled out within a few weeks. One of my personal favorites in the Livefyre community, patricksplace , did a write-up covering that exact concern with Livefyre:

But it all depends on the unique needs of the community. I’m a firm believer in doing what YOU and your readers think is best for YOUR community, not just rolling with something because another person had success with it. As much as I’d love to have you on Livefyre yesterday, our biggest concern your community. And while we believe we can help it, you’re the one who knows best! :)

And let me check into those Safari settings for you, as it should all be handled through pop-up and not separate tabs.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I’d be more than happy to help in any way I can!

52. Nabil Ashry September 16, 2011 at 2:36 am #

Thank’s Luke

You made me make my choice faster. I was impressed by IntenseDebate at first ( !!! ), but a problem with apperance in Google Chrome was enough to make me search for another system after 2 hrs with it.

I searched for another, saw this comparison and then => switched to Livefyre :)

53. krisolin September 16, 2011 at 4:30 am #

@Dragon Blogger Me too. I’m in the same situation as you are. LiveFyre or Disqus? At the moment I’m leaning on LF.

54. DYounglao September 16, 2011 at 12:36 pm #

@JMattHicks Thanks for your reply! I’ll keep checking Livefyre to see what changes are being made, if any.

FYI in my first comment when I typed the @, nothing came up. This time the drop down does appear if type it.

55. jennalanger September 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

@marcusveerman Hi marcus, we don’t yet have a drupal module, but we will have one soon! For now if you’d like, you can use our javascript embed right in your template to get Livefyre on your article pages. Thanks for the interest!

56. Dragon Blogger September 18, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

@krisolin I Chose Livefyre and just installed it on all of my blogs last week. There are a few minor things such as not being able to reply to comments from a centralized location and no ability to customize whether URL’s in comments require moderation or can be rejected. I am still seeing spammers pass through the livefyre system and post comments with links in them to their sites. I could ban each user individually but there should be a means to force all comments with URL in them to moderation or reject outright I think (or maybe remove the http:// so the link is auto removed.

57. krisolin September 19, 2011 at 12:29 am #

@Dragon Blogger Ok, I’ll go and have a look at your blog. The thing that I find good in LiveFyre rather than Disqus is that you can actually tick the Facebook and Twitter share buttons right on the comment form.

58. b.nijhoff September 19, 2011 at 4:15 am #

Hey Luke,

Thanks for this great post it really made me change to livefyre. First I thought I would stay with disqus but you made me change my mind.

Thanks.

59. jennalanger September 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm #

@Dragon Blogger@krisolin As a moderator, if you flag a comment as spam directly from the comment steam, it will delete instantly and it trains the spam system at the same time.

60. Dragon Blogger September 19, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

@jennalanger@krisolin Oh, so you mark it as spam in wordpress dashboard like old way and it trains? I don’t see a way to spam a specific comment in Livefyre dashboard just delete

61. jennalanger September 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

@Dragon Blogger This is actually from the comment stream on your article. If you roll over a comment you can click “flag” and choose “Spam” as the option.

62. krisolin September 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

@jennalanger@Dragon Blogger Jenna, if I decide to give LiveFyre a go now, but later on, for some reason want to start using something else what happens when I uninstall the LF plugin? Do I go back to my original Word Press comments? Do I get to keep the new comments created while using LF? In other words do I lose anything?

63. jennalanger September 20, 2011 at 12:18 am #

@krisolin Livefyre writes all comments to the WordPress database, so you keep all of the data and they will still be there if you turn Livefyre off.

64. Dragon Blogger September 20, 2011 at 1:20 am #

@krisolin@jennalanger I confirmed this myself and disabled the Livefyre comment system a few times on 2 blogs confirming that comments left through Livefyre sync to WordPress. From reading online I have read that Livefyre does a better job (more accurate) at syncing comments with WordPress than Disqus even.

65. krisolin September 20, 2011 at 1:31 am #

@Dragon Blogger@jennalanger That’s it guys, I’m convinced and I’m in! I have just installed the plugin into my blog and all seems to be fine. You can see it here: http://facebook-advertising-marketing.com

Livefyre imported all the comments just fine and it’s looking good on Firefox and Chrome! On Internet Explorer it leaves an unpleasant gap after the Related Posts for some reason. Also the hotlinks to the comments just below my post titles don’t seem to be working. I wonder if this is a WP setting I need to fix?

66. Dragon Blogger September 20, 2011 at 1:38 am #

@krisolin@jennalanger I noticed inconsistencies with the hotlinks as well, not just on my blog but many others. At first I thought if the comment is buried too far it can’t link down. Sometimes it has to wait a good deal of time for the page to load, and if you scroll or move it will interrupt the hotlink.

67. krisolin September 20, 2011 at 2:11 am #

@Dragon Blogger@jennalanger Another strange thing: My Latest Conversation points to a blog post I did in 2008! What’s that all about?

Also @dragonblogger recent comment on my blog (thanks mate) had some strange code in his Latest Conversation -link. Actually it’s the same code you can see above.

68. Dragon Blogger September 20, 2011 at 2:35 am #

@krisolin@jennalanger@dragonblogger I have similar problem but worse, if you look at my latest conversation it says it is at http://www.dragonblogger.com/reset-windows-7-trial-activation-360-days-software-tools/registry-edit/ yet I don’t have a single comment on that post in Livefyre at all, never did a comment.

69. Dragon Blogger September 20, 2011 at 2:36 am #

@krisolin@jennalanger@dragonblogger Hmm, that was odd tried to post a basic link and it freaked out and put html code in there. Anyway you can see the link in my comment.

70. krisolin September 20, 2011 at 2:44 am #

@Dragon Blogger@jennalanger@dragonblogger Yes very strange. At least your link doesn’t have that weird code anymore :)

71. krisolin September 20, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

@Mattias Gronborg Hi Mattias. I changed over to Livefyre yesterday and I’m having some second thoughts. How is it working for you?

72. JMattHicks September 20, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

@krisolin@Mattias Gronborg Hey Krisolin, any questions I can answer or anything I can help with?

• Mattias Gronborg September 22, 2011 at 4:37 am #

@krisolin@JMattHicks Hi I think it’s working well but I miss the “edit” function. You are discussing some of my other thoughts here. I like that Livefyre is so keen to help their users.

73. krisolin September 20, 2011 at 7:23 pm #

@JMattHicks@Mattias Gronborg Hi Jeremy, I installed LF on my blog yesterday, you can see it here: http://facebook-advertising-marketing.com Livefyre imported all the comments just fine and it’s looking good on Firefox and Chrome but on Internet Explorer it leaves an unpleasant gap after the Related Posts for some reason.

Also ‘My Latest Conversation’ points to a blog post I did in 2008! What’s that all about?

74. JMattHicks September 20, 2011 at 7:30 pm #

@krisolin@Mattias Gronborg Hey Krisolin,

Would you mind me asking what version of IE you’re using?

And in regards to your latest conversation, Livefyre’s LinkBack doesn’t import your data in chronological order, so it’s very possible that your first post may be shown, or your last, or you second to last. As feature still in its beta, we’re still working the kinks out. After your next blog post, that should self-correct and show your latest blog post.

Also, while I’ve got you on that topic, as we continue to develop this feature we’ll be adding the functionality to choose which blog post is shown, so you have a say-so in which post is advertised.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, feel free to add in any other questions!

75. krisolin September 20, 2011 at 7:50 pm #

@JMattHicks@Mattias Gronborg I’m using Explorer 9.

I think it would be a good idea to have your latest blog post featured as opposed to your latest conversation, or choose either one.

What about email replies? I think Disqus has the option to reply to the email notification you receive and it will be posted as your reply to a comment automatically.

And finally, where is your admin panel, mate?

76. jennalanger September 20, 2011 at 8:02 pm #

@krisolin@Dragon Blogger Hey guys, it will only show an old post right after you install – the reason for this is the way our importer works is it goes from newest to oldest, so when it gets to the end that’s the latest conversation. This will be corrected when you publish a new post.

77. JMattHicks September 20, 2011 at 8:05 pm #

@krisolin@Mattias Gronborg Alright, I can check that out for you shortly in IE9.

And just to be more clear (as I was throwing around Livefyre lingo without explaining it!), when we say your “latest conversation” we’re referring to your latest blog post, but it’s technically the latest page/post that our widget was loaded on (and thus the latest conversation created).

And e-mail replies will be available in the future as well. While I don’t have an exact ETA for you, I can tell you that it is definitely on our dev plan.

And here’s your admin panel:

As well as our FAQ on how to access it:

Anything else I can answer for ya? :)

78. JMattHicks September 20, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

@krisolin@Mattias Gronborg Hey Krisolin,

I found your issue with IE9, I spoke with an engineer, and they’re already working on it. It should be gone by Thursday, if not Friday!

79. krisolin September 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

@JMattHicks@Mattias Gronborg Thanks, mate! I’ll go and check out my admin panel straight away! Your support seems to be phenomenal! Thanks to Jenna as well!

80. LukeCoburn September 21, 2011 at 8:24 am #

You’re discovering the main thing that drew me to Livefyre in the first place: the support team. They are second to none.

81. mecvietnam October 30, 2011 at 11:38 am #

@mecvietnam likes it

82. ygosearch November 19, 2011 at 1:20 am #

I guess we will also go with Livefyre for its social features.

83. regis November 24, 2011 at 6:59 am #

Yes, I have changed my commenting system to go back to vanilla WordPress. http://regis.decamps.info/blog/2011/01/livefyre-out-back-to-vanilla-commenting-system/

• Dragon Blogger November 24, 2011 at 10:22 am #

@regis This article is old and many points not valid anymore. You have far more options of Social media to sign in and now can guest comment without sign in. The external system was blocked by no firewalls and no companies I tested with and I work for a company with majorly strict firewall rules. Can’t manage user accounts? Not sure what you mean by that.

If you put 500+ comments on a local WordPress post with a fair amount of replies, the WordPress host will have worse performance than an external commenting system that relies on cloud. In using Livefyre for almost 2 months I never had it fail, I have had users get 500 errors posting to my WordPress commenting before due to too many users at the same time, but never with Livefyre.

You also don’t count the SPAM, unless you do a registration only to comment system like you have then you will have way more spam on a vanilla WordPress blog and have to rely on plugins which are external systems to filter anyway. Also forcing someone to register to comment is no less inconvenient than using an external commenting system. Less people use OpenID than either Facebook/Twitter.

84. KwstasKostantinidis November 25, 2011 at 1:48 am #

test comment…

85. daddeaux November 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

just taking a look at livefyre

86. 3dmodelsart December 5, 2011 at 10:09 am #

LiveFyre has been good for most of my blogs. It has caused some headaches for some of my readers who have trouble commenting on/with it, but overall it seems to have received a very positive response. So I can say only good things about it.

87. markljackson January 11, 2012 at 4:08 am #

Going to give LiveFyre a try. WP’s system is a nightmare.

@Dragon Blogger just what is ‘out of date’ in this article. Would be nice to know.

Also, does anyone know if I disable the commenting (discussion page) will that kill LiveFyre. Do any of those settings matter now? I have not tried and of this, for fear of hosing the system (bad previous experience).

• Dragon Blogger January 11, 2012 at 9:03 am #

@markljackson This article is older, since this article there is now Guest Commenting in Livefyre which is a huge plus. The Social conversations reading in from Facebook and Twitter works great too. Livefyre is “nofollow” now, it used to be dofollow links I think when this article first published. You may want to read my latest post on Livefyre http://www.dragonblogger.com/livefyre-action-commentluv/

• GrahamTroupEnteraction January 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

@markljackson@Dragon Blogger Is this the free version of LiveFyre? I’m tempted by it but my site’s still in the early stages. Thinking It might be handy for stopping all the SEO spam coming in

• Dragon Blogger January 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm #

@GrahamTroupEnteraction@markljackson Yes, I don’t use paid version, free is fine for sites with 2 million visits or less per month. I won’t probably ever hit that much traffic.

88. b.nijhoff January 27, 2012 at 5:50 am #

I dont now much about Disqus but I can agree with you that livefyre is much better dan Disqus

89. pmdci February 24, 2012 at 9:17 am #

I am using intensedebate on my blog over disqus mainly because it is from the same guys as wordpress so the integration is seamless. I also like the fact that I keep the content in my database as well. Then Livefyre came along and it got me intrigued. they also claim that I can keep a copy of my content in my DB, which I like. I guess I will wait and see if Livefyre gets more adopters, because it looks quite slick! But I also like the simple privacy terms of Intense Debate.

90. bowie76230 March 5, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Well, are you still using livefyre? I imagine that yes you are else I wouldn’t be commenting via it. I have it on my blog too at http://www.bowierocks.com, a news aggregation site, personal and political blog that promotes the town of Bowie, TX. However, I want to know if you come across a method or plugin that supports pulling all these various commenting systems into one place; or better yet, from your experience or someone else’s can they cohabitate?

91. Razul April 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

Hi, I am also using Livefyre comment system on my blog. Yes, their supporting group has made me not thinking twice to try out their system, and until now I stick to them.

92. Razul April 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm #

93. JoshuaMonesson April 15, 2012 at 4:27 am #

Disqus is really a best plugin mate why u moved out ??

• SheepishMusic April 17, 2012 at 5:08 am #

@JoshuaMonesson I think Support, Innovation and Community may have something to do with it.

• techinsider May 31, 2012 at 9:14 am #

@SheepishMusic what about uptime? is it ok?

94. JohnPaulus May 18, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Can you post pictures and video in the comments?

• Dragon Blogger May 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

@JohnPaulus In the current version you can include a link to Flickr image, or YouTube video and it will show up as thumbnail in comment.  In the new Livefyre Comments 3 coming out any day now you will be able to upload images as it will have a “media folder” you can upload to as part of commenting.

• JohnPaulus May 18, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

@Dragon Blogger Thanks for the information.   I have a few other questions if you wouldn’t mind addressing:

1.  Does LiveFyre have a “pop out” feature?  Like this: http://tinypic.com/r/x44vgi/6

2.  As moderator can you edit comments?

3.  Can you bold comments/italicize comments?

4.  Can people comment as a guest or anonymously?

Thanks so much again.

• Dragon Blogger May 18, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

@JohnPaulus Don’t really get the contest of what you mean by popout, it does popup and open a reply box when you click on reply to anyone, test it out here on my site: http://www.dragonblogger.com/ipad-3-giveaway/In the new version of Livefyre Comments 3 releasing any day now you will be able to edit comments, current version no, but this will change in a matter of days.

In the new version of Livefyre Comment 3, yes you will be able to add formatting to comments, see my review of the new version here:  http://www.dragonblogger.com/livefyre-comments-3-coming/

Yes, people can comment as a guest without signing up for a Livefyre profile.  There is no quick “anonymous” commenting, you still are required to fill out name, email for spam/filter reasons (if you are truly anonymous you can’t create spam/filter based on users email).

• Dragon Blogger May 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm #

@JohnPaulus Meant to say context of the popout (not contest)

• JohnPaulus May 18, 2012 at 1:37 pm #

@Dragon Blogger The information on your site was extremely helpful and with the new additions coming, I think it will be an excellent comment system for my readers and me.

What I meant by pop out is this; when my readers want to comment on a post and the click on the “comment” button, the entire comment screen separates “pops out” from the article so that readers can keep open the comment dialog screen without having to remain on the site.  Here is what it looks like:

If you look at you’ll see where it says “comment 115” on the bottom left corner of the “pop out box”.  Once readers click that, the “comment box” shown in the screen cap pops out and allows the reader to keep open the comment box while surfing other articles or stories.

• JohnPaulus May 18, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

@Dragon Blogger Actually it’s this screen cap:

• Dragon Blogger May 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

@JohnPaulus Ironically I just suggested that Livefyre implement an ajax popup so readers can comment from anywhere on post instead of scrolling to bottom, so this isn’t something that exists yet commenting is at bottom of post and same frame as post itself but hopefully this will come as a feature soon.Not sure how compatible that is with mobile browsers/devices would be my only real concern.

• jennalanger May 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

@Dragon Blogger  @JohnPaulus Hey there, while we don’t have an out of the box version of this “pop out” you could load the conversation on a page that you host, so users could click a link to launch the conversation in a separate window. Glad you’re enjoying the system!

95. techinsider May 31, 2012 at 9:26 am #

I like being anonymous sometimes, can i do that with livefyre? No?…

• Dragon Blogger May 31, 2012 at 10:38 am #

@techinsider Livefyre lets you comment as a guest, but you still have to put in a user, email…etc.   (obviously you can put fake email and be therefore “anonymous”) but still, it isn’t true anonymous where you can just leave a comment with a generic “guest” or non-username.

96. brianwahl June 16, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Thanks for the updates and comparisons. I’m shopping around for comment systems and your input has been valuable.

97. xpatpub July 21, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Comparing the three based upon original post.

98. joostharmsen August 20, 2012 at 8:52 am #

agree!! Livefyer is great! i use it for al my blogs! :)

99. jan de graaf October 17, 2012 at 6:11 am #

Thanks for this, sinds 4 months I’m using livefyre on my own blogs and it works great, best choice I’ve made!

100. Martin Dean June 25, 2013 at 6:29 am #

Currently using Disqus, and whilst I like the functionality, it’s not used by the existing site members due to the need to make a separate account – they have already made an account with us (A drupal based website) – and they want to use that account.

Whereas that option exists for Disqus, its not a feasible offering due to the (huge) price (for the record we are not commercial and the site is not monetized).

I believe that the same issue exists with Livefyre, but I would happily be proven wrong!

101. learn93 May 10, 2014 at 12:01 pm #

I have read a some articles that r more about preference & switching from 1 to the other. It would bw great to have an unbiased study.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Compare Commenting Systems: Disqus vs IntenseDebate vs Livefyre | FatWalr.us - August 2, 2011

[…] you can tell, I currently prefer Disqus (Update: I switched to Livefyre).  I’m a designer, and the Disqus framework just looks better than the others.  It’s […]