Compare Commenting Systems: Disqus vs Livefyre vs IntenseDebate

All right, in my last post I wrote probably more words than were necessary about why every blog needs a good commenting system.  Today, we’re going to get our hands dirty: what are the key differences between Disqus vs Livefyre vs IntenseDebate.

Compare Client Lists

IntenseDebate has been around the longest and is owned by Automattic, the same company that owns WordPress, PollDaddy, Akismet, Gravatar, and other online ventures.  Because of this, you would assume that it would have the largest following, right?  Well, based on their client lists, you’d be completely wrong.  On IntenseDebate’s own website, their client list includes Screencrave, Macleans, Microsoft Partner Network, Dumb Little Man, and Infectious Greed.  After reading the list, I was left scratching my head and saying “Who?”

Compare that to Disqus, which is a 2007 startup.  They claim on their client list the following: CNN, TechCrunch, FoxNews, IGN, and Engadget.  Yeah…it’s a different sort of list.  I was shocked to see the difference between the two.

Livefyre, since they just got out of their private beta, have very few major clients, most notably The Next Web (Update: The Next Web is now with Disqus), Bloguin, and Spin Sucks.

Compare Logins

Disqus: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google, OpenID, and Yahoo.

InteseDebate: IntenseDebate, WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, and OpenID.

Livefyre: Livefyre, Facebook, Twitter, Google, and LinkedIn.

Compare Features

When it comes to features, all three have threaded commenting, commenter profiles, email notifications, moderation, and various other features.

Livefyre is different, though.  They seem to have taken a more social approach to commenting.  Using their system, you can share your actual comment via your social networking channels, trying to invite others into the conversation; you can tag or @reference people that are in the conversation; receive notifications when people are talking to you in the conversation.  Compare this with the other services, which basically only let you subscribe to notifications for all comments on a post (which on a major blog can get old REAL fast) or subscribe to notifications when someone responds to your comments.

Summary

As you can tell, I currently prefer Disqus (Update: I switched to Livefyre).  I’m a designer, and the Disqus framework just looks better than the others.  It’s clean, easy to use, and I just plain like it.  Based on client lists, it also takes the cake for largest community, which is important…when people come across your blog and see that you’re using a framework that they’re familiar with, they’re much more inclined to leave a comment.  You can also see a users commenting history within their Disqus profile, and if you’re a part of that, then being part of the bigger community is another large plus.

If it were only between Disqus and IntenseDebate, I’d have an easy decision…I just like Disqus.

Livefyre intrigues me, though.  I really like the way that you can “talk” to people within a commenting thread.  You can also share links directly to your comment with a Twitter-friendly shorted URL…a really great way to draw outsiders into the conversation.  I’m really interested to see where this company goes and if any major blogs start to pick up their service.

Another thing that is very attractive about Livefyre is their customer support.  Just look at the way that the Livefyre staff gets involved in conversations around the web: http://www.spinsucks.com/social-media/moderating-blog-comments/ .  These guys want to grow, and they want to learn from community feedback to make their product better.  Kudos to you guys.

So, for now, I’m sticking with Disqus (Update: I switched to Livefyre).  I wouldn’t rule out a switch to Livefyre in the future, though.  Something about them just seems right…

What commenting system do you use on your blog?  Why?

Related Posts:

Tags: , , , ,

My name is Luke, and I'm the Online Media Manager for a technology company, photographer, husband, and father. You can see a snapshot of some of my work at LukeCoburn.com. I cheer for the Red Sox and am completely in love with my wife and four little princesses.

137 Responses to “Compare Commenting Systems: Disqus vs Livefyre vs IntenseDebate”

1. Jordan Kretchmer May 4, 2011 at 2:54 am #

Jordan from Livefyre here. Thanks for the review, and you’ll see more of us on very large sites soon :)

• Luke May 4, 2011 at 3:14 am #

See…this is what is so appealing about you guys. You are just on top of your customer service and really out there enhancing your image. It doesn’t surprise me in the least that you are leaving the first comment here (within minutes of it posting, I might add). Keep it up. I can’t help but think that you’re going to win me over sometime soon.

The big hangup for me, though, is community size. I like the ability to track users comment history through their Disqus account, and the Livefyre community just doesn’t have the size to compete yet.

If you do start landing bigger clients, I’ll become much more interested. How easy is it to switch from Disqus to Livefyre? Is any data lost in the process?

• Jenna Langer May 4, 2011 at 7:12 pm #

Hey Luke, another Livefyre’er here! (we need to come up with a name for ourselves :)

It’s really easy to switch to Livefyre – we import all of your comments automatically from WordPress, and all new comments are written back to your database so you keep all the data. Thanks for the write up and feel free to let us know if you have other questions!

• Luke Coburn May 5, 2011 at 3:02 am #

Hi Jenna. Thanks for stopping by.

When you do migrate comments from Disqus over to Livefyre, how does the transfer of identities work? Since each Disqus comment is left from a certain user in the Disqus system, and Livefyre comments need to be attached to a Livefyre account when posting, what happens to the commenter’s identity during a migration?

• Jenna Langer May 5, 2011 at 6:36 am #

Since WordPress saves the email address, we can get a gravatar to populate the profile picture. Soon we will be adding the claim comment feature so users can add any comments they have left with their email address to their profile.

• Luke Coburn May 5, 2011 at 11:16 am #

That’s good. Although, does that mean that a user would lose email notifications for any post that he had made in the past until you develop the “claim” feature and they enabled it? Like, if someone is subscribed to email notifications of responses through Disqus, then I switch him to Livefyre (without him knowing), does he get notified when someone replies to his comment? Like, is it possible that that function would work backwards through WordPress, since the user hasn’t authorized Livefyre to email him?

• Jenna Langer May 6, 2011 at 12:57 am #

I will look into that use case – not quite sure what permissions we have. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 2:34 am #

Thanks, Jenna. I just asked Jordan to do the same, but if you have a minute and would care to check out this implementation of new Disqus features that a rep just left in the comments ( http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2011/05/disqussing-disqus.html ), I’d love to hear what you Livefyre’ers think about their update and what you guys can offer to continue to set you apart.

As people, you guys rock, and it’s awesome how you are out there getting the word out about your product. Big points for that. But, I’m really interested in how the functions of the two products line up…anything you can offer is appreciated.

• Jenna Langer May 27, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

I actually think it’s pretty cool that they is building one of our favorite Livefyre features. While it is not as personal as Livefyre mentions (we actually pull in a list of your friends and tweet from your account, not a bot), it shows that the comment space is innovating. In the end, it means that the users are winning because we will continue to step up our game and develop features to give you a better experience. On that note – we have a really exciting social feature coming soon that will show how we keep on pushing the envelope.

In the end, we’re all about giving you the choice to use the best comment system. If you switch to Livefyre, we import all of your comments and write all the new ones back to your database. Don’t like it? you can turn us off and you’ll still have all of your data. If you have any questions or want some info on the new stuff coming, feel free to email me directly at jenna at livefyre dot com.

• Luke Coburn May 5, 2011 at 11:12 am #

Oh, and I think you should call your support staff “The Fyring Squad.”

For some reason it was like the first thing that I thought of when I got out of bed this morning… Is there a contest? Do I win a prize?

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 2:27 am #

Jordan, a rep from Disqus just left this URL as a demo of some updates that are coming soon to their platform: http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2011/05/disqussing-disqus.html

With their enabling of the @referencing functionality of Disqus and Twitter users (the key thing that set you guys apart), would you care to check it out and comment on how Livefyre still differs?

• Jordan Kretchmer May 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm #

Hey Luke, just jumping back into this thread since you’ve been Tweeting about it again. The difference between Livefyre’s mention feature and theirs, is that ours actually pulls in all your friends from Twitter and Facebook and lets you tag them. Theirs just shows you people who have already commented on the page. We’re flattered that they built that feature, but the implementation isn’t quite the same. We also post replies to Twitter and Facebook from your user account, where disqus uses a bot account, which strips the personalization out of it.

I tweeted this to you as well, but we’ll be releasing a feature shortly that will push the space forward yet again. We can’t wait for you to see it. Please let us know if you have any questions and of course, we’d love to see you on Livefyre :)

2. Danny Brown May 4, 2011 at 3:23 am #

What matters most? Quantity or quality?

I’ll go for quality every time; for third-party platforms, that’s Livefyre, hands down. “Bigger clients” doesn’t mean a better community; something Livefyre encouarges in spades.

• Luke May 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

That’s true, but only to a point. Familiarity with a commenting system is an important piece of garnishing more comments. I want quality comments, but I’ll take 100 wishy-washy ones over one really profound one. Since Disqus has FoxNews, Engadget, and many other massive commenting platforms under their belt, their userbase is huge, familiarity goes up, and there is less friction for a potential commenter to leave their thoughts on my blog, which will in turn generate more links to me across the web. In that sense, would you not agree that quantity does sometimes beat quality?

• Danny Brown May 4, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

I guess it depends on the blogger’s goal. Is it to get a bunch of backlinks to their site, or is it to build a solid community? Can you have both? Sure – but I’d rather get any links from a solid community as opposed to a bland link from 100 wishy-washy comments every time. ;-)

Familiarity and trust doesn’t always equate to good – just ask investors in Enron and Barings… ;-)

• Luke May 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head here.

If the blogger’s goal is to monetize through advertizing, then he needs as much exposure as possible through backlinks and social networking references. He needs people that randomly clicked a link to get in, and don’t mind randomly clicking an affiliate ad to get out. (me)

If, however, he is actually worth listening to, can put out continual solid content based on a similar topic, and can maintain a solid community, then the community becomes the key component. (you)

And then there’s the Mashables of the world that have both.

• Danny Brown May 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm #

Good points, Luke. Though not sure if Mashable always has solid content… ;-)

• Luke May 4, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

True. I’m waiting for them to put out a post called “Our Top 10 List of Top 10 Lists”. Probably will be the day that I stop paying attention.

However, they do have a huge following and will always be top of Google’s search results whenever there’s to be heard in the social networking world.

• giannii May 6, 2011 at 6:28 pm #

Hey @dannybrown:disqus , how’s life treating ya?

In regards to your question, I believe in quality over quantity any day and I believe you can have both with Disqus. We have tools to help prevent undesirable content, enrich the conversational experience on your site, and help you have a better insight into your community with Analytics (http://stuff.giannii.com/6XKQ).

If you have any questions just let me know and I hope you’re doing well.

3. Gini Dietrich May 4, 2011 at 11:49 am #

There is a lot of debate about Disqus vs. Livefyre and I think the Livefyre guys are going to rapidly become the #1 commenting system on the web. I agree with you that the Disqus framework looks better, but it doesn’t do nearly as well at engaging people as an entire community. And, well, you’ve already experienced their customer service. It’s REALLY good.

• Luke May 4, 2011 at 12:29 pm #

Gini, did you use Disqus prior to Livefyre? If so, how was the transition?

• Gini Dietrich May 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm #

I did and the transition was so easy it was kind of ridiculous. When they were affected by the Amazon outage, we switched back to Disqus while it was being fixed, and then transferred those comments back over. Super, super easy.

• Luke May 4, 2011 at 8:28 pm #

Impressive. I’ll stop bothering you and direct future questions to the Livefyre staff…most of whom have apparently found this thread. They’re like a little blog-post-on-commenting SWAT team. Love it.

Thanks for the Tweet, by the way.

• Gini Dietrich May 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

It’s my pleasure! I couldn’t find your Twitter handle in my early morning sleepiness so that’s why it wasn’t included.

• giannii May 6, 2011 at 5:41 pm #

Hi @ginidietrich:disqus , I thought I jump in and say hello. Is there something specific that would you like to see community engagement wise? I’d love to hear your thoughts and we really do appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback.

• Gini Dietrich May 8, 2011 at 6:10 pm #

Hi! I’ve been a Livefyre user since their inception and have moved along with them through their beta and full launch. As much as I appreciate your asking for feedback, I’m a pretty big brand ambassador for them.

• giannii May 8, 2011 at 6:14 pm #

So what you’re saying is that it’s more about the brand rather than community engagement?

• Gini Dietrich May 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm #

It is for me – now. In the beginning, what hooked me was the community aspect. Now it’s about their customer service and the way they treat me.

4. Jordan Kretchmer May 4, 2011 at 7:13 pm #

Hey Luke, tried to reply to your comment below, but replies don’t work from iPad on disqus, you can’t type in the box ;-) you can’t login using Facebook or twitter on mobile disqus either, so i’m using a different account for this comment. But yes, the transition from disqus to livefyre is very very simple. We auto import your existing comments so you don’t lose any data. While our current user base is smallish, we’re growing extremely fast, and some really big integrations are on the way. We’d love to win you over, what do we gotta do?!? :-)

• Luke Coburn May 5, 2011 at 3:49 am #

I’m writing this on my iPad and it seems to be working. At first the cursor wasn’t blinking, but it started after tapping again. You’re right about having limited login options, though.

5. Ro Gupta May 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm #

Hey Luke – you might want to check out out our social mentions / notifications feature we’ve had in the works for a while but just testing live on a couple sites now, e.g: http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2011/05/disqussing-disqus.html. Also you may be interested in disqus.com/dashboard if you haven’t used it yet.

Feedback welcome over on http://blog.disqus.com/post/5192492910/the-numbers-of-disqus#disqus_thread. Thanks.

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 2:22 am #

Hey, thanks for the comment, Ro. I was hoping someone would come by and stick up for Disqus.

I poked around on the page that you referenced. I really like the ability to reference Twitter and other Disqus users. That’s the key thing that was attracting me toward Livefyre.

How long will it be before those features get released publicly? Do the features work on an iOS device?

We’ve noticed that Disqus behaves differently (worse) on iOS devices. You can’t login the same way you can in the desktop version, getting the response field to work feels clunky…anything being done to fix that?

6. Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

Here’s a test to see if I get notified on Twitter if I just write the words @lukecoburn .

7. Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Nope, that one didn’t work. You must have to choose it from the dropdown: @lukecoburn:twitter

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

That worked. I received the Twitter @ message.

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm #

What if I phrase it like this? @lukecoburn:twitter

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:48 pm #

That worked… You don’t actually have to choose it from the dropdown.
          If you use all plain text, you can simply reference the twitter user,
          followed by a colon (these are colons ::::), followed by the word
          “twitter. So, it looks like this, without the spaces: @lukecoburn :
          twitter

8. Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

9. Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

10. Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

11. Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

12. Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

@ginidietrich:twitter and @DannyBrown:twitter . You can now reference people on Twitter via the Disqus framework.

• Danny Brown May 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Nice to see them taking @Livefyre:disqus idea to improve their service. Still prefer Livefyre for third-party, just a richer experience.

• Gini Dietrich May 6, 2011 at 4:19 pm #

Well, look at that! But I’m with Danny – I still like @livefyre:twitter better because of its ability to help build community.

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

But, with Disqus’ new-found ability to reference people directly, in what ways would you say that @livefyre:twitter is still better at building a community?

• Gini Dietrich May 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

I do think so. The experience is richer (more rich?). I can use Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or just create a @livefyre:twitter account. I can post to Twitter or Facebook. I can get all of the replies in one email at the end of each day or as they’re posted. I can subscribe too all of the comments or to just those replying to mine. The benefits allow people to talk to one another within the blog post, not just tag people from outside.

• Jenna Langer May 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm #

@upeace:disqus Kudos to Disqus for building a feature that we think is great. While there mentions are still quite buggy, Livefyre still gives your commenters greater social reach from your content by populating the list with their friends from Facebook and Twitter, not just people already in the conversation. This gives them the ability to invite new people to your community, helping it’s continued growth.

Also, it’s hard to track this conversation when I have to keep refreshing the page to see new comments :)

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

Good points, Jenna. I do greatly prefer the Livefyre approach to the social connections. By having the ability to choose from everyone that I’m connected to instead of just people in the conversation, it makes referencing someone much faster. Also, there is no way to mention someone on Facebook in Disqus…it’s limited to Twitter and their own Disqus profiles for that functionality.

Also, the Disqus system is buggy. Sometimes my screen jumps around when I reference people, a few times my referenced people have disappeared completely, it’s about impossible to use the (at) symbol without the whole “I think you’re trying to reference someone” function taking over and forcing me to hit Esc a bunch of times. In their defense, though, the functionality was just recently implemented. How often is a product ever perfect on roll-out? (Other than Livefyre, of course)

• Jordan Kretchmer May 6, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

If we’re just talking about this one feature, Livefyre pulls in all your friends from Twitter and from Facebook, Disqus’ version of it only lists people who are actually on the page. Mentions on Livefyre send tweets from the user who posted it, while Disqus sends the tweets from a disqus account.

In general, we’re actually happy to see Disqus copying our features, and we will continue to innovate and add great social integrations (a couple new ones launching shortly), while they copy and launch them 6 months later. mimickery is flattery! :)

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

I see what you mean about the differences in implementation. I prefer the Livefyre method in both referenced examples. In this new Disqus system, in order to reference someone on Twitter that’s not in the conversation, I have to go out to Twitter in a separate window, figure out their exact Twitter name, and then manually type it into Disqus.

Also, as you said, it notifies them from a Disqus Twitter account, which decreases my own Twitter exposure. It also doesn’t tell the referenced person who it was that referenced them…just that they were referenced. On the flip side, I would also say that there would be times that I wouldn’t want to clog my Twitter feed by having them sent from my own account. Perhaps giving the user the option of sending the Tweet from my own Twitter account or a Disqus/Livefyre account would be a good solution. Then, it’s up to the user to define how they want it to function.

13. Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

Hey, @rogerpeacejr:twitter , @nathanshoultz:twitter , @johnyarosh:twitter . You can now reference Disqus and Twitter users from within a Disqus comment. This is a killer new feature to draw people into your blog who may otherwise never see your post (like I’m doing to you right now).

14. giannii May 6, 2011 at 6:08 pm #

Hi @upeace:disqus , thanks for the kind words. We’re really proud to have people like you contributing to the Disqus Community. Ya know, I’d be curious to hear how you use Disqus on a daily basis. What’s the first thing you do?

• Luke Coburn May 6, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

Hi, Giannii. Honestly, I’m not sure what you mean by what’s the first thing I do. I use Disqus on my blog, so in that sense, I respond to my commenters when I see new comments have been posted. I like the Dashboard, but I don’t use it all that much. I usually monitor activity from within my WordPress Dashboard. I like the idea of the Disqus dashboard and being able to respond to comments all in one place. But I noticed today that you can’t use the new “mention” feature from within the Dashboard. Is that going to change?

• giannii May 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Hi @upeace:disqus ,

RE: Dashboard Mentions; We’re working on a fix to get that up and going. =)

I also use WordPress for my personal blog and I was just curious about the first actionable item you review when responding to your audience. In my case I usually review my notifications, Disqus dashboard, or skim through Analytics. It kind of depends on if Disqus.com is open in my browser or I’m mobile. With Analytics there are a lot of gems to be found about your audience such as your Most liked commenter, recent visitors, most active threads, and the many other insights that you can discover about your community.

15. Design-Newz May 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Thanks for the article. I’m thinking of using Disqus on my design blog. Does it take much to convert existing WordPress comments over when you make the switch?

• Tyler Hayes May 6, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

Nope. Just install the Disqus plugin and click the “Export Comments” button.

16. Daniel Ha May 9, 2011 at 11:58 pm #

@upeace:disqus , thanks for starting this conversation. We’re paying attention to some of the quirks you mentioned and hope to smooth those out.

17. Guillermo Garron May 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm #

@upeace:disqus Hi Luke, I actually use Disqus but as you I’m really intrigued about Livefyre.
    Now that you can also mention people in Disqus (but only using their disqus login name) do you think this guys are going behind Livefyre features?
    Do you think it worth the switch?

18. Guillermo Garron May 18, 2011 at 6:49 pm #

@go2linux:twitter Hey, now I can see, I’m inviting someone (actually a bot) that has not disqus profile into this conversation.
    So I think Disqus has learned a lesson (or two) from Livefyre

19. Guillermo Garron May 18, 2011 at 6:50 pm #

Sorry, please do not take this as spam, but I have noticed that you actually need to publish your comment in twitter to invite someone from twitter into the conversation.
    Let’s see this @go2linux:twitter

20. Eric Troy June 1, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

I can never get the facebook share function on Disqus to do anything.

21. Taha Ahmed Khan Qadri June 4, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

hi, just checking the Disqus commenting sytem, plz delete this comment later :)

22. Akshay June 7, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

Hey Luke,Awesome comparison. I wanted to know if you’d like to feature this post on mokabla.com – a project we’ve started to house all the best product comparisons on the web under one roof! You can back-link to this original article of course. Check it out, and if you’re interested, I will send you an invite.Cheers,Akshay Arabolu, Founder

• Luke June 7, 2011 at 11:48 pm #

Absolutely! Let me know what I need to do. Thanks!

23. elfleat June 20, 2011 at 11:51 pm #

This is the first time that I heard about livefyre; I’m testing; looks that its simple and awesome.

24. johnson206 July 8, 2011 at 12:52 am #

“Luke” its very comprehensive and helpful post you have shared and its very deeply analyze between these commenting systems and after read your post any body can decide easily that which should we chose, personally i always like disqus commenting system its easy to install and have many more facilities then others. <a href=”http://www.kooldesignmaker.com/”>custom logo design</a>

25. SamirDuarte July 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm #

I have IntenseDebate and it’s not working well. I’ll try Livefyre! people seem to really dig it! Do you know it gabriel tadeu ?

26. DannyBrown July 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

Hi Luke,

I see you made the switch, mate – what prompted it? Is there a post about that?

I completely agree, their social interaction and the way they really listen to their users make @livefyre my favourite third-party option (and, as you know, I’ve just reactivated on my blog). Disqus may have the bigger names, but Livefyre seems to have the bigger “care factor”. ;-)

27. LukeCoburn August 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

@elfleat Now that some time has gone by, what are your thoughts on LiveFyre? Have you had a chance to use it much?

28. LukeCoburn August 2, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

@SamirDuarte Yeah, I don’t really consider IntenseDebate much of a contender any more. They had a good thing going for a while, but it seems like they’ve missed the boat lately.

Did you have a go with LiveFyre? Do you have any thoughts?

29. SamirDuarte August 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

Not yet! @LukeCoburn I’m looking for someone to migrate my intensedebate database to livefyre! But I will try it!

30. elfleat August 2, 2011 at 3:51 pm #

@LukeCoburn Never tried, I’ve finally installed facebook comments, but It looks like I’m not having the best results.

31. jennalanger August 2, 2011 at 7:15 pm #

@SamirDuarte@LukeCoburn Hey there Samir, Livefyre imports all comments from the WordPress database, so as long as IntenseDebate has been syncing back, you can switch to Livefyre today and we’ll get all of your old comments. Feel free to send any questions to us at support at livefyre dot com. Thanks!

32. LukeCoburn August 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

@DannyBrown@livefyre Yup. I made the switch, and I’m not looking back. I just wrote a post on the rationale behind the move: http://fatwalr.us/2011/08/why-i-switched-to-livefyre-from-disqus/

33. alan2102 September 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

I just sent this to both LiveFyre and IntenseDebate; perhaps I’ll send it to disqus as well:

……………….

My comment/request is this: does your software have the mostimportant single feature that ANY comment/forum system needs?Namely, to NOT LOSE THE WRITER’S TEXT. Sorry to scream, buta great many systems have missed this most fundamentalfeature. Any system that loses the writer’s text is a badsystem. Unfortunately, that includes a lot of systems! Mostof them. There are a precious few that seem to be better thanthe others. With these, you can accidentally hit a key thatnavigates away from the page (say), and then go back WITHOUTLOSING YOUR TEXT. This is really all-important.The ultimate perhaps is google’s mail, which saves every wordthat you type, even through system crashes. That kind ofbullet-proof protection would be great. But failing that, thesystem should at least not lose your freaking hard-won newtext when your finger accidentally brushes over some key ortouchpad or whatever. That’s infuriating, and unacceptable.I write as someone “spoiled” by an ancient (1985) DOS texteditor, that saves every word in a swap file, and NEVER losestext, no matter what (just like google mail). I love thedarned thing, and spend most of my time in it. And it painsme to read, as I often do, about people spending an hour ormore, painstakingly composing a long letter or post, and then– poof! — it is gone, in an instant. That is tragic,outrageous and unacceptable. Sincerely,Alan

34. alan2102 September 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

Also sent to livefyre and intensedebate: an addendum, running a whopping

500 words, which I tried to post here, but it was rejected by livefyre because it

exceeded the character limit.

500 words?!

Why not 100 words? Or 50? Who needs even a complete sentence,

when a couple grunts will do?

Is there some law that saws that these systems MUST be Mickey-Mouse,

designed for idiots?

Yet another observation: I note in the post below (mine, just posted) that

carriage returns are skipped, without even leaving a space! More idiocy.

35. jennalanger September 5, 2011 at 12:14 am #

@alan2102 Hi Alan, thanks for the feedback. We are actually looking into ways to save the text every few seconds/words so you never have this problem that you speak of, I hate losing text too so I feel your pain.

36. LukeCoburn September 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

@alan2102 Hi Alan. Thanks for the (passionate) comment. I’m glad that you didn’t lose the comment that you were authoring…I’d hate to see how intense you could get if that had happened :)

I think you’re on to something, though. Even though I wouldn’t categorize systems that don’t have this feature as “unacceptable,” I do think that this would be a fabulous addition. The more we can get content written straight to the cloud, the better. Especially when you’re filling out forms…I hate that.

37. LukeCoburn September 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm #

@alan2102@jennalanger , is there really a 500 word limit to comments? What’s the rationale there?

38. alan2102 September 6, 2011 at 6:11 pm #

@jennalanger Yo! Not so much pain (those days are over; it never happens to me anymore, because I never trust the flaky edit boxes) as anger at all the wasted human effort and losses suffered by others. Glad you’re working on it.

39. alan2102 September 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

@LukeCoburn Thanks. I agree that it would be a fabulous addition. I don’t agree that the lack of it is acceptable. Losing creative work products that have been placed in my care would be unacceptable to me. I would be deeply ashamed of that, if I were in such a position.

40. alan2102 September 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm #

@LukeCoburn@jennalanger Yes, apparently there is. That was my experience: rejected for length. Rationale? Who knows?

41. jennalanger September 7, 2011 at 1:15 am #

@alan2102@LukeCoburn Hmm, that’s a good question, it may be a technical boundary we set, I’ll look into it and let you know…and make bigger if possible :)

42. DigitalAtrophe September 8, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

@jennalanger

What was the result here? I’ve got LiveFyre running on my blog but it hasn’t taken off the ground yet. I’d rather switch to Disqus before it does rather than later if there’s a 500 character limit.

Please advise.

43. jennalanger September 8, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

@DigitalAtrophe The limit does vary in different browsers since they handle content very differently. The standard is 2,500 characters, and if it is too long we deliver an error message so the user can break the comment into 2 sections. This is something we rarely see, and many people leave blog post-length comments. Feel free to send any other questions my way!

44. krisolin September 16, 2011 at 4:24 am #

Great post, Luke!

I’m actually trying to choose between LiveFyre and Disqus for my blog (http://facebook-advertising-marketing.com/) and I can’t really decide. They both have their good and not so good features. I’d like to go with LiveFyre but it’s still young, whereas Disqus is more stablished with a bigger userbase. I’ll read your I switched to Livefyre -article next; see if that helps me decide. krisolin

45. Web Design Outsource September 26, 2011 at 3:04 pm #

I’ve used all of them and i think livefyre is my winner.

46. cmattiola September 29, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Great Post! I also just started using livefyre and like it.

47. therapgamer October 1, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

Just jumped on Livefyre and it’s just incredible. Thank you for the comparison and the reasoning for not going back to Disqus.

48. Nollywood October 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

I think I prefer livefyre too although people seem reluctant to use it on my blog. I’m sticking with it for now though!!!

49. Davorado October 21, 2011 at 1:29 am #

Thanks for the triad review and update to livefyre

50. mecvietnam October 30, 2011 at 11:39 am #

thanks

51. NguyenNgocTien October 30, 2011 at 11:46 am #

I am in between Disqus and Livefyre. I find that the login for Livefyre requires more steps when I login with Gmail.

• JMattHicks October 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

@NguyenNgocTien Hey man, definitely understand what you’re saying. We’re currently working to revamp our auth process, making it smoother and more intuitive. We’ll also be adding guest commenting in the next two weeks as well so users won’t need an account to comment.

Definitely send any questions my way, I’d be happy to answer them.

52. JournalXtra October 31, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

I’ve just switched to Livefyre from Disqus. I like the social aspect of it but it could do with a few themes and a backend admin panel for easier management.

53. JeremeCausing November 8, 2011 at 4:42 am #

hello

54. JeremeCausing November 8, 2011 at 4:44 am #

yeah I find Livefyre cool.. does disqus also require users to allow app to connect to their account?

• JeremeCausing November 8, 2011 at 4:46 am #

I also noticed that livefyre seems to be read by search engines.. that is also cool.. I think I should give it a try

• JMattHicks November 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

@JeremeCausing All comments are Google crawlable, so each comment provides a nice SEO boost! Let me know if you have any questions, I’d be more than happy to help!

• JeremeCausing November 8, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

@JMattHicks thanks .. i was just wondering how do I logout here .. this looks cool.. I hope they could make the login a pop up div (like disqus) instead of a pop up window because users might be confused on popup windows.. :)

• JeremeCausing November 8, 2011 at 9:33 pm #

@JMattHicks oh sorry I found it already.. it’s on my name on top of the comment box haha sorry :D

is the control panel similar to disqus .? :D

• deadmad7 December 4, 2011 at 3:06 am #

@JMattHicks@JeremeCausing Wow! Thats awesome.

• ttola January 4, 2012 at 7:33 am #

@JMattHicks@JeremeCausing

• ttola January 4, 2012 at 7:33 am #

@JMattHicks@JeremeCausing thanks

55. JeremeCausing November 8, 2011 at 9:44 pm #

test comment

• JeremeCausing November 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm #

cool.. it’s realtime

• JeremeCausing November 8, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

I’m testing it on different browsers.. It posts comment in realtime .. cool.. I’ll be using this.. I also noticed that the email notifications don’t go to my spam folder unlike disqus :D

• David Crowther November 28, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

@JeremeCausing Just testing guest comments.

56. poojim November 10, 2011 at 5:50 am #

cdsfs

57. poojim November 12, 2011 at 1:11 am #

Livefyre I think loads faster with my site. And what’s better is the tagging….

I was looking for the traditional option for commenting wherein one can put his site (as well as name and email) which is quite rewarding for comment-ers. Please delete my previous comments, that was and accident…

58. poojim November 12, 2011 at 1:11 am #

Livefyre I think loads faster with my site. And what’s better is the tagging….

59. poojim November 12, 2011 at 1:13 am #

Livefyre I think loads faster with my site. And what’s better is the tagging…. And it even follows the recent posts of a commenter’s site.

I was looking for the traditional option for commenting wherein one can put his site (as well as name and email) which is quite rewarding for comment-ers who do not want to expose their account on other services.

60. PlatonicESolutions December 3, 2011 at 3:05 am #

I really wants a good commenting system……………..

61. TheDigerati December 24, 2011 at 4:52 am #

@jennalanger I find livefyre user facing “look and feel” to be very boring when compared to disqus. Are there templates available to change this, or can it be CCS’ed ?

thanks

62. JeremeCausing January 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm #

I’m having slight problems with wordpress integration.. the comment count sometimes displays 0.. maybe it has something to do with the theme compatibility

• LukeCoburn February 11, 2012 at 11:35 am #

@JeremeCausing Did you ever fix your problem?

63. shumail January 10, 2012 at 4:15 am #

nice. livefyre is best

64. cashinghub January 14, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

i was using Disqus for a while now. But i saw many blogs recommending livefyre. So i just opened a account, hoping that it will be better than any other commenting platform.

65. RecordRecorder.com February 10, 2012 at 11:31 pm #

disqus is awesome – but livefyre is too :)

66. FarhadGhayour April 21, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

@FarhadGhayour  testing

67. MHazell June 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

Disqus is supreme and always will be. And Livefyre does not integrate with that many platforms outside of WordPress and their (assuming) Universal code.

68. stevenejb August 31, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

I like Disqus as well but I’m giving LifeFyre a go for the time being. I also wanted to use the Facebook Social plugin for comments, but it doesn’t seem to like working 100% of time and it doesn’t update live (requiring page refreshes). One plus is people can post comments on your website or facebook page and it all stays in sync. I wouldn’t mind getting completely away from Facebook though.

• LukeCoburn August 31, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

@stevenejb Thanks for the input, Steven.  I too like Disqus, but there were just a few things about Livefyre that were too appealing.  The way things are going, it’s going to be pretty hard to get away from Facebook…what makes you say that?

• stevenejb September 1, 2012 at 12:07 am #

@LukeCoburn I just feel like Facebook is taking over everything yet doesn’t work 100% of the time like you’d expect. I guess I feel like everyone is putting their eggs in one basket.

69. Ryan February 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

The Next Web now uses Disqus, not Livefyre – might want to update the article. I honestly can’t decide between them all as they all have pro’s and con’s. To be honest I think I’ll just write my own commenting system and grab an open source social login from github or elsewhere. At least then I’ll own the content instead of it being hosted on their servers.

70. den-i June 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm #

Currently using Livefyre. Gonna try G+ comment plugin. If that fails, going back using just plain ‘ol WP comment…

• Narga July 10, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

I’ve moved WordPress.com comment system like you because Disqus & Livefyre has loading a ton of scripts then decrease website speed.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Disqus Adds @Mentions to Its Commenting System | FatWalr.us - May 6, 2011

[...] I’ve gotten some great comments from the Livefyre and Disqus development team members in my last post about comparing Disqus, Livefyre, and IntenseDebate. [...]

2. Why I Switched to Livefyre from Disqus | FatWalr.us - August 2, 2011

[...] of my more popular posts in the past was a comparison between the Disqus and Livefyre commenting systems.  My conclusion at the time of writing was that I was going to stick with Disqus, at least for the [...]

3. Blog Technology: Disqus vs Livefyre » Marketing Technology - December 13, 2011

[...] Luke Coburn at FatWalrus gives a first hand account of the platforms in “Compare Commenting Systems: Disqus vs IntenseDebate vs Livefyre“ [...]

4. Blog Technology: Disqus vs Livefyre - January 4, 2014

[…] Luke Coburn at FatWalrus gives a first hand account of the platforms in “Compare Commenting Systems: Disqus vs IntenseDebate vs Livefyre“ […]